View count: 21336
(1) Established Purpose
The main purpose of this department is to nurture industrial personnels of chemical engineering and materials engineering. The students learn the general professional knowledge of chemical engineering and materials engineering. The students are trained to enhance the manufacturing knowledge of high technique materials and environmental protection materials to meet the industrial requirements and characteristic material specialty. Also, the students are familiar with the local area research specialty such as the biotechnology development of Yilan area. The students are trained to be familiar with the concept of industrial safety, hygiene and pollution control, to understand the importance of the prevention of professional disaster and environmental protection. This department will be an important place for nurturing material developing personnels in east area.
(2) Educational goals
1. To nurture students as chemical engineers for production, maintenance, product test and quality control in chemical plants.
2. To nurture students as professional technicians for analysis and identification of chemical products, and for driving the upgrading of industry.
3. To nurture students as professional technicians for preparation, processing and applications of high technology materials.
4. To inculcate students professional ethics, concept of safety and environmental protection, and to decrease the occurrence of industrial safety accident and environmental pollution.
1. To nurture students as research and development personnels specialized in the field of chemical and materials engineering.
2. To nurture students as professional personnels with the ability of independent thinking , and planning, analyzing, and solving engineering problems.
3. To nurture graduated students with the ability of communication, coordination, integration, and expression.
(3) Core Competencies
1. The ability to use mathematics, science, and the knowledge about chemical and materials engineering.
2. The ability to design and conduct experiments, and to analyze and identify the experimental results.
3. The ability to employ the necessary tools and skills required for practical applications of chemical and materials engineering.
4. The ability to design chemical engineering process, system, or to prepare materials, or to understand the applications of materials.
5. The ability to communicate effectively, and to cooperate with the team.
6. The ability to discover, analyze and solve the problems.
7. The ability of global view, and to learn new knowledge aggressively.
8. The ability to understand the industrial safety, professional ethics and social responsibility.
1. The ability of professional knowledge about chemical and materials engineering.
2. The ability to plan and execute the research projects.
3. The ability to write the professional articles.
4. The ability of independent thinking.
5. The ability to perform cross field work and to coordinate and integrate.
6. The ability of good global view, responsibility and professional dedication.
7. The ability of leadership and plan management.
(4) Develop Direction
1. Polymer related materials
2. Biochemical engineering
3. Pollution prevention technology
4. Process design and control
(5) Future Employments
The departments of chemical engineering and materials engineering are claimed to be “mother of industry”. Recently, the demands of employee with the specialties of chemical engineering and materials engineering increase due to industrial progress of semiconductors, optoeletronics, nanotechnology and biomedical technology.
The major industries for employment of the graduated students include:
1. Petrochemical industry
2. Chemical engineering industry
3. Semiconductor industry
4. Optoeletronic industry
5. Energy source industry
6. Medical and biotechnology industry
7. Food and drug industry
Further education opportunities for the graduated students include:
1. Chemical engineering research institute
2. Polymer research institute
3. Material research institute
4. Applied chemistry research institute
5. Biotechnology research institute
Taiwan Provincial Ilan School of Agriculture and Forestry was founded on May 12, 1926. Department of chemical engineering was set up in 1978. The school was changed to be National Ilan Institute of Agriculture and Technology, a five-year junior college, due to changes in social, economical and industrial environments in 1988. After years of preparation, the school was changed to be National Ilan Institute of Technology, a polytechnic college. Recently, the school was reorganized as National Ilan University, a comprehensive university, in 2003. And the department was changed to be Department of Chemical Engineering and Materials Engineering at the same time. Two classes of undergraduate students were enrolled per year. A graduate program was set up in 2007. At this time, the department offers bachelor and master degrees, and 92 undergraduate students (2 classes) and 15 graduate students are enrolled per year.